With more than 10 colleges, each with multiple buildings, The University of Edinburgh was struggling to manage its extensive IT & Specialist equipment asset register using spreadsheets. Keen to achieve a system that delivered improved oversight and control with more accurate data, lower risks and which would take less administrative time to keep up-to-date, the University partnered with Assettrac to provide an all-in-one asset tracking and management system.
The Assettrac Process
To gain accurate data on the volume and location of assets to be managed, Assettrac worked with partners RGIS, to assist in the first phase of the project comprising asset tagging, logging and on-site verification. The account manager worked closely with the client to configure their specific information requirements to enable the technical team to develop the client’s customised online portal. On-site, the teams worked together to identify, log and tag all items in scope within the set timescales. Site visits were project managed to minimise interruption and to maximise asset inspection and collection. At the end of the site audit, the team delivered an accurate asset register covering all of the locations for the 10 colleges. The asset register is delivered via their own customised, secure cloud asset portal, downloadable in various formats.
- Customised Cloud Asset Portal & Register: simplified, paper-free tracking, inspections and management of all asset items with handheld
devices that identify any item with an asset tag.
- All Assets Identified: over 6000 items of equipment, each with unique asset tags and references, their building and room and with a supporting image for easy identification.
- Easy to Use System that Gives Instant Updates: all new asset items can be instantly tagged added to the asset register and tracked. Updates and information can be managed using a hand-held device, whether in the office or on-site.
- Reduced Wastage & Increased Savings: full oversight over the location and age of assets means the university can now maximise the use of existing assets and has reduced expenditure purchasing duplicate and unnecessary items.
- Reporting Made Easy: no longer held back by cumbersome paperwork or spreadsheets, the University of Edinburgh can update and manage information in real-time, as well as extract meaningful reports designed around their organisation’s information needs. Detailed reports are shared at the click of a mouse giving full audit trail of equipment and locations as well as meet compliance requirements by easily scheduling and managing inspections of specialist equipment.